Thursday, December 30, 2010

What's in a name?



A few days ago, I was at a kennel set up by a friend. The gent, is a most interesting person. Fighter pilot, commercial airlines pilot and now security dog trainer.He remids me of Capt. Haddock from the Tintin comics. Gruff and irratable, but a wonderful guy. Well, at the kennel, I bumped into different breeds of dogs, and with my limited knowledge about them could make out an Alsatian. My friend kept calling it a 'German Shepperd'. Apparently the said dog is a wonderful security dog & was put to good use in the German army and police during WW2. The British, understanding the efficacy of the dog, adopted it, but anything German, was anathema, in Britain, at that point of time so they simply changed the name and called the dog- Alsatian!

Many years ago, at Mumbai airport, while checking in, I was hailed from another 'Q'. There was this chap, in Bermudas, flowery shirt & cotton floppy hat, with sneakers. He introduced himself as Ram and from my school. I'm particularly bad with names and could not place the bloke. To cut to the chase, Ram had an enormous amount of luggage and was asking if I could check some in under my name to avoid excess baggage for him.He would have to fork out a good deal of cash, for the over the limit luggage. Back in the 1980's we were more innocent and I agreed, but I still could not place the guy, American accent and all...............As we spoke, he said he had just returned from the 'States' and was going home to Vizag, the American twang being unmistakable.

With sudden insight, I remembered his name and asked him if he was called 'Shantaram' back then? His smile was a bit sheepish as he said yes, but he had dropped the 'Shanta' part. Too old fashioned, you see. Going forward, I asked him, what he was doing in the US of A? He said, no, " I'm just returning from a two week holiday!. I live in Vizag." I had great difficulty in keeping a straight face. After we landed, and he got his luggage,Ram said, he would have invited me home, but would be busy travelling on business and hoped that I would not mind............!

So, what's in a name?

Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Ramnath said...

LOL

Happy new year sir.