Monday, June 28, 2010

It's all in the mind....

Not withstanding its distinctive name, the food at La Marvela, Bangalore's latest upmarket hotel is pretty good.Sipping a Zinfandel, I watched Germany maul England, 4-1, at football, on a giant TV screen.
The loss was tragic & rather sad to see, because, the difference between, the two is not that great. When I started on my wine,England were down, 2-1 and fighting.Frank Lampards glorious shot at the goal was disallowed & I knew it was curtains for the Brits.The Germans counter attacked furiously and England were staring down the proverbial barrel.
I've spent enough of time with Germans to have learnt one thing. You allow the chaps to get on a roll and there is little to stop them. You get the better of Germans by guile, tactics and wearing them down.The Brits were tactless and allowed the Germans to dictate the game.You never allow the Germans order......if you want to beat them.
The battle for Stalingrad was a brilliant example.What the Germans hate is being bogged down and attrition. In this context had the Lampard goal been rightfully allowed and England gone 2-2, my gut feeling is that the match might well have ended differently.
But then as they say, that is how the cookie crumbled and the Germans went through, to the round of eight and England home.For me, it was a skewed match. The Germans played true to form but not the Brits. Traditionally they are a tough lot & I would have expected them to hang in there.But then it's all in the mind.As I finished my red wine, the taste was a trifle awry.
I'm going to miss seeing, the Brits on the field and Beckham with his tattoo's and fine clothes, cheering his mates on!

6 comments:

Deeptaman Mukherjee said...

Well Sir, In an attempt to conquer the last frontier, i.e. Humans; I think you have been very successful in deciphering the German Psyche. Hahaha ...!!

Couldn't agree more to the analysis.

As they say, The Brave have the last Laugh. And it was, the Germans this time.



Keep Writing, Sir.

Regards.

Cap N said...

Danke!

How's things with you in Goa.....how's the weather?

Deeptaman Mukherjee said...

All I can say is - I'm in Love with Goa :) :)

And, Sesa Goa & Vedanta ...!!

Don't make me mention the Girls here, Please. Wink Wink

Pray for the best at your end too.

Regards.

Cap N said...

Hi,

Nice that you like the place. I know the harbor very well but spent some tense moments navigating through iron ore laden barges, going to ships in the anchorage.
I once encountered a fairly large whale in the channel,,,,,,,,,at night!
Have fun & enjoy,eventually it's the journey and experiences that count.
Cheers..

Janam k mehdi said...

Great sir.........interesting to know this

Cap N said...

Janam,

The Spanish defeated the Germans, because they defended well!

Cheers