Saturday, June 26, 2010

Championship Play!

Yesterday Rafael Nadal the Spanish tennis star, cocked a snook at royalty, when he said that practice for a forthcoming match at Wimbledon was more important and he just could not match the Queen of England’s schedule and meet her.
This story takes me back many years to Gandhi and deals with Gandhi and British Monarchy.

Gandhi went to London during the Round Table Conference in 1931. He was in his usual 'dhoti', and was described by Churchill as 'Half-naked Fakir' of India. He went to meet King George V at the Buckingham Palace. One journalist asked him: "Don't you feel embarrassed to see the King George V in this scanty dress?"
Gandhi said: "Why should I feel ashamed?", and added tongue in cheek: "The King has enough on for both of us." What he did not mention was that, much of poor India, dressed the way he did, in a loin cloth.
Referring to the boycott of the Prince of Wales during his visit to India, the King George V asked him: "Why did you boycott my son?" And Gandhi replied: "Not your son, you’re Majesty, but official representative of the Crown and we are against the Crown." Gandhi’s reply was not arrogant. It was plain speak at its very best.
Nadal, a five-time French Open champion, was adamant he meant no disrespect to the Queen, but had no intention of apologising as he doesn't want to do anything to damage his bid to regain the Wimbledon title he won in 2008.
Nadal later said:
"I am playing in Wimbledon. It is not a joke. I love this tournament," he added.
"I have a lot of respect for the Queen. I have a lot of respect for this tournament.
"It was always my dream to play here. It is a match-day for me so I have my things to do and I try to do what I think is best to win the match."

If Gandhi and Nadal share something in common, it should be humility. If that is the case then why do they appear arrogant? I think there is a very important lesson here for all of us.

Nadal, is in England to win a Tennis Title at Wimbledon. Likewise Gandhi was in England to negotiate India’s freedom. Priorities are extremely important and it is fundamental not to lose focus of our primary goal.

Do Gandhi and Nadal share anything else? Both were champions and you can see why!

1 comment:

chhavi.... said...

Very right sir! Both share focus towards their goal and that's the reason why they have achieved what they had on their mind. Arrogance comes very naturally on our way towards goal and there are very few people who are humble enough to overcome it.