Friday, April 2, 2010

A sinecures job!

A few days ago a PYT wandered into my cabin & did not waste too much of time, prior to arriving at the reason for her visit.'Could I help her find a nice job?'.Since the question, had too many unknown quantities like, 'help', 'nice' and so on and more importantly since the business end of placements are far removed from my current job description, I was a tad reluctant.

However, since a request was made I agreed to hear her out and in doing so, got to know that she preferred a IT organization.The quintessential curios Joe, that I'am, I asked her why, to which she replied with a why not! The money was good, the work was 'white collared', you get to sit in an air conditioned office & attend 'Thank God it's Friday' parties, on ( you guessed right ) Fridays. More importantly you got to hob nob with other youngsters, who could talk intelligently on issues ranging from the Beatles to Bee Gees to Lady Gaga!Most important she said, the culture was good, meaning laid back, with no dress codes, your boss could be addressed by his/her first name & the work was light.................

I was nonplussed and rendered speechless amidst working out who Lady Gaga is/was & her rather simplistic logic about workplace practice in an IT outfit.My question- if everybody is laid back & attending parties, then who get the work done? Who does the dirty work that keeps us afloat? Who gets their hands greased, while we have the unqualified luxury of a white collar? She dismissed these rather, inconvenient question, with a shrug of her shapely shoulders and a steely glint in her eyes.................

Amidst the brilliant strengths that the young have today, a definite, drawback, is a sense of entitlement that many of them seems to have! A sense that, their life should be one of fun, ease & comfort without effort! You would only have to look around you to realize that, everything ( and I mean everything ) comes with a price tag & it would be prudent to check out the price before you decide on a course of action.I think it is moral depravity to expect to live off anther's sweat!

It is not about 'us' all the time.............

I remember a few line from a song from the Beatles, which seem to run as follows:

It's been a hard day's night, and I've been working like a dog
It's been a hard day's night, I should be sleeping like a log
But when I get home to you I find the things that you do
Will make me feel alright......

You know I work all day to get you money to buy you things
And it's worth it just to hear you say you're gonna give me everything
So why on earth should I moan, 'cause when I get you alone
You know I feel okay
When I'm home everything seems to be right
When I'm home feeling you holding me tight,tight,yeah
It's been a hard day's night, and I've been working like a dog
It's been a hard day's night, I should be sleeping like a log
But when I get home to you I find the things that you do
Will make me feel alright


If your thoughts are different, then please do let me know!

6 comments:

Dimple S said...

Dear Sir

You have captured the exact ambition of today's youngsters (me included). The irony is people who pay more attention to luxuries in a work environment tend to get frustrated faster than their hard working counterparts. Such comfort zones do a lot of damage to us in the long run.


For example, in ITES industry, youngsters form the major chunk of the working population who get attracted by quick money, comfort and of course the youth driven culture. But it does not take them long to get frustrated and repent the crucial years they lose working in shifts, and this gestation period is also not very long. They lose out on their health, aptitude and attitude. I have personally observed that people in the ITES and IT industry are more frustrated then their counterparts in other industries despite the perks and superb infrastructure.

Capt A.Nagaraj Subbarao said...

Hi,

While your comments are interesting, I'm not alluding to the IT industry alone, but making a statement regarding the general work ethics, that prevail these days!

Your point regarding, such people having a low threshold of frustration is very valid!

I think we should take care, about the dreams that we chase!

Radhika said...

I think when stepping into the corporate world one needs 2 things primarily - Guidance and Professional work environment. Bigger corporates do not compromise on both. Of course, the added perks are luring, no denying that!

Moreover our MBA books talk about only such scenarios and adds to the glamour of the MNC. So it would be a little difficult to tear oneself away from the concept :).

GVA said...

Hi,
Your Good Note helps youngsters to 'Introspect'.
Such wandering intruders help good teachers to fix a ladder
in front of those who are in a hurry to reach heaven
and advise them to take one step at a time.
The formula for success is still very much the same
– honesty, discipline, hard work and ethics –
there is no shortcut to success!
Best Wishes for many more inspiring notes from you.
G.V.Ananthaswamy

Capt A.Nagaraj Subbarao said...

Chhavi & Radz,

I think you have a point.......it is possible to have success without work ( look around you ), but the question is, is that the way life is to be lived & you are right about corporate culture being selectively glamorized in management courses!

Unknown said...

to start with,, great song :) and yeah work could be fun but the ease and comfort truly depends on the way you look at it and your interest upon it. also things we gain easily without any effort doesn't stay along with us for long.
also we can keep it this way,, when you work really hard in a week and then have your weekend, you'll enjoy the most!! as said lots of facilities or luxuries offered often tend to drive us away from work by just temporarily satisfying us. but we get our ultimate satisfaction when we toil and give our best to what we are doing that is permanent and nothing could substitute it!!!!!!!! :)