Thursday, February 11, 2010

Are you on song?

Many years ago, there was a sense of disquiet as I concluded a thriller from a favourite author of mine- Lawrence Sanders. The reason was that, the main protagonist, a female Sherlock Holmes, had been romancing two of her associates- a solid policeman and a flippant, frivolous, flirty & fun loving art assessor, and now has to choose, the lucky guy, that she is going to have a relationship with.
To my mind, at that point of time, I thought that the choice was a no brainer, but was surprised when, the lady zeroed in on the fun loving assessor. Her reason- he made her laugh! I was scandalized and felt sorry for the solid, no nonsense policeman, but with years of hindsight and experience, agree with our heroines reasoning- mere survival is boring, to live a life, the fun, is very important.The lady thought with her heart or maybe even her gut and not with her head.

When my young students, drop in at my cabin, at ABS, with a troubled look on their face, enquiring, which specialization, in their MBA course to select, my advise- follow your heart, always & every time.While the stakes are high, a career is in balance, I think living a life is more important.I follow this up, with, be selfish in looking at what is going to make you happy, rather than, those around you and you will do well in choosing a path for yourself.

Career Planning and Development, as I see it, has been reduced, to a cold and calculated process. A process without a heart & it is not surprising that we see increased levels of boredom, disconnect, stress and eventual burnout at the workplace.This, I attribute,to planning without a heart, where the immediate bottom line is valued more than the holistic big picture, which is to really live life.

A few days ago, a friend, told me that, my erstwhile colleague's, at Van Oord, received a hike of 25 %, in their wages. That is humongous!My head, says, look at the money,look at what you are missing out on, while my heart has never ceased to sing, after I got into academics.The world looks rosier.

As for now, my heart has won!Lucky me....................!

7 comments:

Radhika said...

I agree that people should just figure out what they LIKE to do. Every field has a lot of scope and you eventually figure out ways to create opportunities for yourself. The start may not be so rosy but I would rather have the path rosy!

So please don't base your decisions on college placements and fat packages, once you take the dive you will get there!

Sunitha Kotadia said...

i totally agree with you.. following ur heart works out best... it worked out in mine :-) ive always made decisions following my heart when it comes to my education and my career. and i have learned a great deal along the way!

chhavi.... said...

:)I remembered the time when I came and asked you about HRM..I did what you said. I followed my heart. and i am more happier than my friends who are now puzzling whether finance or marketing suits them or not..they have taken these specializations for the sake of placement but they are not interested in studying them. I still tell them that the best advice for yourself will come from your heart, listen it and trust it!! this will make life simpler and worth living:)

JISHNU said...

Absolutely right sir, After all what matters is satisfaction, of course money counts but its not everything. Many do not follow their heart but keeps running after monetary benefits. They make a short plan on career & is ready to put that to stake keeping their dreams aside.

Capt A.Nagaraj Subbarao said...

Gals & Guys,

Guten Morgan !

Your comments are right on target!

To follow one's heart requires great courage & self esteem.......and as Radz say's you do eventually get there & maybe if you don't you atleast tried!
The voyage will still be worth it.

Unknown said...

sir, i totally agree with your advise, follow your heart cause only then we can experience this wonderful feeling called satisfaction!!!!!!! also, it has been said that success is not the key to happiness but happiness is the key to success so whatever field we choose, if we just give it our best shot,,succes n happiness both would follow!!!!

Capt A.Nagaraj Subbarao said...

Vasudha,

Right on the button......your comment said it all.