Sunday, April 5, 2009

KPS and MBA

Yesterday, after a dinner of ' Sweet & Sour' soup, followed by Aloo Dum Biryani with Subz Kolhapuri & raita followed by kulfi, at 1947, on the way back home, I ran into an old acquaintance of mine, a young girl, on the verge of completing her MBA from a local institution here at Bangalore.
I opened the conversation with the usual ' What's News', which seems to puzzle a lot of folk here. Whats news can mean:
1. What is news with you?
2.Have you any news?
3.What are you doing these days?
4.I'm fine but have no news?
5.How's the weather?
And so on.......................................... I guess you have the drift.
To my query the girl replied, 'KPS', which I took to mean Karnataka Police Service & I was nonplussed. How could a youngster from distant UP, not having completed her PG, make it to the police force and take on 'Goons' here at Bangalore?
Well it turned out that 'KPS' mean, 'Kanha, Peena, Sona', and I was saddened to see the pained look on my young friends face. I'm saddened because the young in India are in the throes of an economic meltdown that none of them comprehend even as they are buffeted by a sinking job market and unemployment.
They will also have to admit, that this crisis owes, a great deal to management experts who went overboard in their greed and tossed integrity and ethics to the winds.
I guess many of my young friends will emerge stronger from this economic quagmire, just as we did many years ago, in the early 1980's. There is also a message, in that all parties do eventually end and when they do it is the wise who have secured themselves to face the tough days ahead.
Personally I was interested in 'KPS' because, after working for the last 25 years without a break, a short KPS looks inviting.
Work, I find, like many other ills is rather addictive and debilitating but then my young friends have many a mile to travel before they reach the crossroads of life where 'KPS' looks inviting and not a curse.
Returning to 1947, the North Indian fare is very good, simply because it is made by North Indian chefs and not South Indians looking to cook North Indian cuisine! Another young friend of mine, also an MBA has a stake in the restaurant and displayed a great deal of vision and chutzpah in setting up the place!

No comments: