Monday, September 5, 2011

Teachers Day!



Teacher’s day, when I was at school was big ticket. The day was viewed with certain amount of anticipation and excitement. My mother after a great deal of pester would conjure up a bouquet for my favorite teacher and principal, which would eventually get tossed into a large heap.
Teacher’s day was also about getting an opportunity to teach junior kids, as the teachers would take a break from the class for the day and entertain themselves at school, or so we thought.
For me, alas, the opportunity never came, simply because I was never a teacher’s pet and I learnt very early that it pays to cozy up to the right people.
While not being able to teach kids at school, left a rather bitter taste in the mouth, I've made up for it by teaching big kids now and quite enjoying the journey.
Kids, these days do not humor me with flowers and cards, but many do call and say that somewhere I made a difference to their lives and those few words make it all worth the while.
Having seen many sides of the world I can safely say that teachers are some of the most poorly treated professionals and societies that do not recognize them are doing so at their own peril, because nobody became a somebody, without a teacher and great societies have had great teachers to get there.
!

6 comments:

Aakanksha said...

Sir!!
Next time we meet I will give you flowers!! Teachers are very important and I hope everyone all over the world respects them. Happy Teachers Day to you!!

Pratap Reddy said...

Nice one sir.. You made me go back to those days wherein we used to perform on this day for the teachers.. Copy them.. Full on masti. Probably the only day where we werent scared of them..

Happy Teacher's Day sir..

Ramnath. Pai said...

nice read, reminded me of my teachers day in school were in we stood in sun while few prayers were told in honor of the teacher then distributed sweets and got rest of the day off.

also Happy teachers day to you sir.....

Cap N said...

Thanks, guys!

Kuladeep Baruah said...

Hello Sir,

After a deafening pause for many days I have read your blog today and found it thought provoking.Well Done Sir!!!
However,I would like to disagree with your view about the treatment meted out to the teachers.
You say "Having seen many sides of the world I can safely say that teachers are some of the most poorly treated professionals...."
If you would like to say so,would that "treatment" be with regard to the amount of salary they are paid or the kind of ill-behavior they face,at times,from their students and parents alike.

Capt A.Nagaraj Subbarao said...

Kuldeep, good question!

Apparently, contrary to what many think teaching is a very stressful job and ranks high on the 'Job Burnout' list of profession.
In India, students and parents do still give teachers some respect mostly out of fear than real appreciation.

Teachers need to be appreciated, for their contribution to society. After all they shape society.

It is said that Aristotle was upset with Alexander for the way he treated conquered people and made his displeasure felt, which kept the lid on the conquerors brutality.

Just think about it: The most powerful man on earth being advised by a poor teacher!

With regard to your second question, more money to teachers would help.

Societies that ignore care giving professions like the medical one and academia are staring down the barrel, my friend!

Thank u AAK, Pratap & Ramnath

Ciao................