Wednesday, March 10, 2010

What's in a name?



A few days ago a gaggle of kids from my class, (IHRM- Minor), approached me for permission, to leave early to meet for their finance club activity. Apparently the club is called Prometheus after the Greek God, who goes by the same name.
This set me thinking…………because here is what we know of Prometheus!

Prometheus was the son of Iapetus who was one of the Titans. He tricked the gods into eating bare bones instead of good meat. He stole the sacred fire from Zeus and the gods. Prometheus did not tell Zeus the prophecy that one of Zeus's sons will overthrow him. In punishment, Zeus commanded that Prometheus be chained for eternity in the Caucasus. There, an eagle (or, according to other sources, a vulture) would eat his liver, and each day the liver would be renewed. So the punishment was endless, until Heracles finally killed the bird.

Considering that finance managers are expected to be ‘watch dogs of industry’, I thought it was a rather strange name to choose for their club, considering that his main activity seems to have been thievery and scheming!

Talking about names…………………………I have a few experiences, to share-

First, from my school, harking back to my 2nd standard.
There is this young kid, hair shiny with oil, standing with his head bowed, tears overflowing & staining his pale face, eventually dropping in big splotches on to his trousers. His crime- he had colored the beak of a parrot blue & had the audacity to be named as ‘Vidya Sagar’( Ocean of knowledge ), or so thought our teacher, who made him the subject of ridicule, much to our amusement. (How cruel can we be?) Vidya Sagar was never the same again!

My Principal at school was called ‘Mercy’, which was even stranger, as she slashed, whipped and struck her way through my eleven years at school, hitting everything in sight with a short, thick leather belt. I can still see her bulging biceps & glistening brow, in my mind’s eye, though I’ve ceased to shudder……………………………………& I'm sure many of my buddies have not!

My Physical instructor at school was called ‘Chiranjeevi’ (immortal), but the good soul did not live up to his name and departed rather prematurely, at a young age.

However, I’ve saved the best for the last! When we docked at Kolkata Port, a frequent visitor was one ‘Kachara Seth’ ( never got to learn his true name )……………………,who came on board to dispose our garbage. The gent looked really pathetic and wore the weirdest of clothes, added to which his manner was irritating, to say the least! I generally held my peace with him, thinking of how poor he was till, I learnt that he owned a couple of shops, at the ‘Fancy Market’ off Kiddarpore & also had a couple of houses in Kolkata. He was rich!

So then, what’s in a name?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

whats in a name..very nice one..

you scared me off a bit though..my name is vidhya meaning education/skills - wont choose many here ! Thank god I have a masters atleast!

I liked the Mercy !

chhavi.... said...

am glad that HR club is called GENESIS:) but Prometheus literally means foresight..and some how Finance managers need to have that for apt financial decision making..that's why I really agree that name hardly matters until or unless you have a name similar to Osama Bin laden or Hitler! names are really funny at times..like a blind guy named Nayansukh and a beggar named Lakshmipati..its good that my mom didn't coined my name by asking any pandit..otherwise I would have been some champa or chameli:)

Capt A.Nagaraj Subbarao said...

Champa & Chameli, look good to me!

Unknown said...

yeah,, really what's in the name!! very interesting start off!! usually looks can be deceiving or rather lead to perceptions,, but even the names do at times!!the best part was mercy ;)also I'm really glad too that ma parents took their own decession to name me!! :)

chhavi.... said...

but I think champa and chameli won't suit me:)Its good to have you as my IIP guide! Sir do let us know whenever you are in college and you are free as all four of us want to consult about our about our internships.

Capt A.Nagaraj Subbarao said...

tomorrow 1100 hrs.........my cabin!