Saturday, January 9, 2010

" Don't worry, be happy".



The last few days have been tough for me for various reasons, top of the list, being the fact that I've had to evaluate a great number of answer sheets.In doing so I broke into a cold sweat, when I could not find one answer sheet & literally turned my office and home upside down in locating the errant script. The episode ended well & the answer sheet was located, much to my relief, with the rest of the sheets.

Later on in the day I received a call from a friend, who commands a ship. The guy was in the dumps, as in the course events his ship had lost its rudder. The rudder is akin to the steering wheel in a car and without which, you cannot move.The losses, in terms of operational costs and down time, repair cost etc are humongous and my friend was very worried and distraught. I tried to calm him down, and in course of the conversation, he said, that, I must be having a wonderful time, without the responsibilities and worries that he carried as Captain.

My mind drifted back to the much discussed answer script.As ship Captain, I carried the same responsibilities, a couple of years ago & would have laughed at anybody who would have suggested that I should be worried over a missing paper ! How times change & our trigger's change............

The human mind is an amazing piece of equipment & can take a beating but once acquired, the habit of worrying seems hard to stop. We're raised to worry and aren't considered "grown up" until we perfect the art. Children are told: "you'd better start worrying about your future". If you look very happy and gung ho, you're seen as irresponsible, childish, aimless and folk tell you to get real.I had a boss who was suspicious if you so much as smiled !The secret for many is to have a woe begone look all the time and behave as if they carry the weight of the world on their shoulders.Incessant worry saps energy and life & is the greatest source of stress.

Many years back there was a song that went like, " Don't worry, be happy".

I wish I could believe that! Do you guys out there?????????????

9 comments:

Prasad. said...

Very true.Worry is contagious.

chhavi.... said...

its a good one liner- "don't worry be happy"..very optimistic..but really hard to practice when worry demon is eating your head:)its human behavior again that we find easy to advice others..but we rarely apply the same piece of advice of being happy and not being fret:)..like studies..mugging up of concept is easy.. it is its application that brings trouble! but in a way worries are good ..they make us realize the worth of good times we had:)all that we need is some strength to face troubles and rest aal iz well!! and that is good sir that you found that answer sheet otherwise one poor soul might get worried:)

Nagaraj said...

Hi,

That is why it is harder to practise than to preach. The American's got it better- To walk your talk......

Not worrying, like worrying is a habit & it is to be cultivated.

My experience- non worriers live happily with little.

Aakanksha Agnihotri said...

Well i believe in laughing off worries.. now loosing my id does worry me but it lasts only for few minutes(if i am lucky) or few hours but worrying about future about job is not worth it... things will take its own course .. i do not take life very seriously, live in present things happen and I know i can face the future...

Anonymous said...

I cannot fully endorse "don't worry, be happy" as I don't think it is real. I also don't like worry as a chronic habit. The extent to which surprises such lost answer sheet or lost rudder of the ship should be in control. Any panic like reaction would worsen the situation.

Shankar.

Unknown said...

I completely believe in the song :)

"in every life we have some trouble,
when you worry you make it double
don't worry, be happy

cos when you worry, your face will frown,
and that will bring everybody down,
so don't worry, be happy"

So true...

However, as much as one tries not to..there are always those who cant stay off anxiety..and worry... and sometimes its this that pushes you to your fullest...
So i guess, its essential to worry but maintain your calm and work around things.. :)

But its an awesome song by Marley :)

Capt A.Nagaraj Subbarao said...

Sruthi,

I agree. A certain amount of worry is necessary to keep the adrenalin flowing........as long as it does not go overboard.

When this song turned popular I was a young officer with a stern Captain & by coincidence, everytime he walked into the officer's mess, this song would be on which would upset him. As youngster's we got a lot of pleasure.............

It is also said that people who remain calm in a crisis, have generally not fully understood the situation!

Radhika said...

I think we have enough to worry about rather than worrying about whether to worry or not!! :)

These things cannot be strategically determined but depends on individual dispositions. Its one's ability to perceive and deal with circumstances in a particular way..

Lastly I would rather be remembered for my smile than for a frown on my brow.. Critics will always appear in some form or another!

Capt A.Nagaraj Subbarao said...

And Radz, you will be remembered for that...............a lovely smile! Keep smiling.