Tuesday, July 21, 2009

A story to tell.....................

The other day I bumped into a distant relative, who was waddling along, with his wife and kid in tow. I use the word 'waddle' because the gent is rather well endowed and his wife and kid are fairly portly as well.

While the chap is quite inconsequential, having pushed paper, for most part of his life & to the best of my knowledge spent his time visiting the various eating places that dot Bangalore, he generally has a smug look on his moon like face and over conversations few & far in between I have been able to gather that he owes this to being left a residence in a fairly up market area of Bangalore, by his late father. The rising real estate prices in Bangalore has contributed to his sense of well being.

While why a person feels happy is a matter of conjecture and I reserve an opinion on the same for the present, my mind harks back to the movie 'Australia', where the pretty Nicole Kidman, playing Mrs.Boss offers the 'Drover' played by a charismatic Hugh Jackman, a job on her ranch, he refuses saying he wants to have a story to tell, when he dies and so would like to continue with his rather unconventional style of lifestyle of droving cattle across hundreds of miles through trying terrain. He wants to have a story that is interesting!

The scene got me to pause & wonder, as to how many of us would have a story to tell, when we meet our maker. I guess it's a just cause for reflection. Have we done anything out of the ordinary? Can you tell a story that would hold the attention of another person? Well, that is for you folk to decide?

As for my distant relative, he toddled off, into the nearest 'Chat' joint, to what I assume would be a meal of 'Papri Chaat' and 'Pani Puri'.

As to the movie in question, watch it, it provides you a breathtaking view of the land down under.

No comments: