Sunday, June 14, 2009

Beating the retreat!

Yesterday, I was, at the Oxford Book Store, at Jayanagar. A warm, cute place, where you can browse books and sip coffee.Life looked wonderful, amidst Wodehouse, Ludlum,Orczy and such, till three gents, in shorts and all strode in.
I do not as a rule eavesdrop on others conversation, but the folk in question were so loud and animated that I could not help but hear that they were, running a business and were erstwhile employees of the biggest IT firms at Bangalore.
After ordering their cuppa of coffee, they got down to serious discussion, on a business deal, at a fairly advanced decibel level. I found the behaviour bizarre, as this was a place to browse books and not hold business meetings, but then who cares.
Unable to concentrate, I beat a retreat and made my way to 'Iyengar's second Hand Book Shop' at Banashankari. The place has got a multitude, of books, in various stages, of confusion, with Ramanna, placed in the centre, sitting on a raised chair. I was a little amused as he reminded me of Hanuman sitting on a extended tail, from the movie Sampurna Ramayana ( A Telugu classic of the 1970's). Digressing, a tad, the movie mentioned, was my all time favourite, since it extended for four hours and it would be a break from studies, when I was a kid. Also, due to its religious theme, it was considered 'good' to watch.
After a short while and fit of sneezing, I realized that the dust at the old book shop, was not doing me very good, so I moved on.
Not a very productive day for books and book shops!

No comments: